Saturday, January 05, 2008

Let the training begin!

I've set myself the goal of running at least one London Marathon (42.195 km or 26 miles and 385 yards) in my lifetime and hopefully get the chance to complete the ultimate Comrades Marathon (87.6KM or 54miles) which is held in South Africa.

When I've mentioned this to others they tend to look at me weirdly and say that I'd never be able to do it. Whether I'll complete it or not remains to be seen, but one thing is for certain and that is I will start my training and when the opportunity presents itself ... I will be ready.

I was hoping to complete the London marathon challenge this year (2008), however my preparation for it started a little later than I hoped for and my application was one of thousands to be rejected. I then thought I could run for one of the charities such as Cancer Research UK which requires you to raise around £2000, but these spaces are also quite limited.

However, even though I missed out on competing this year the seed has been planted and I am now preparing for a series of smaller races (5,10 and maybe even 20km) in order to build up training for the marathons that I want to complete.

My first official run will be a 10km valentine’s day run in mid February, and in preparation for that I will be attending some of the weekly Saturday 5km time trials held in Bushy Park plus regular evening runs on my own around Teddington.

To kick it all off I started looking for a decent training circuit to run on my own around Teddington and found a 3mile route last night. I managed to complete 2.4 miles in under 20minutes although it was by no means comfortable and there were a number of things that I need to work on.

So here's to a season full of training and hopefully results to match.

I'll be updating the blog with my training as I go along.

No comments: