Thursday, July 10, 2008

Back from Nam. (Namibia that is!)

It's been the holiday/break of the year. I can't remember the last time I took such a long time off ... and worst of all it's been years since I've been back to the African continent.

The initial reason behind heading down to Namibia was to take part in the family tradition of hiking the Namibian Fishriver Canyon. We also had a few other stops planned along the way and eventually ending it all off at the Okonjima luxury cheetah lodge - (click the link to see the lodge)

Although I'd never done it before I really wanted to see what the 90-odd kilometer's had in store and why most of the family had done it more than once. My father-in-law would be hiking it for the 11th time around and therefor a suitable candidate as our official guide.

The places we visited were absolutely breath-taking and the images I will try source and put up on the site here will only show a glimpse of what it is like to be there. (I'm currently fighting to recover all my lost images on a 500gb external hard-drive which crashed last week)

From watching young cheetah cubs relaxing in their natural habitat only meters away from me with no man-made barrier between us, to hearing the cry of a fish-eagle before taking off in full flight ...

... from hiking through the depths of Africa's largest canyon drinking water straight from the river, to standing on top of sand-dunes in the blistering sun looking down over ancient dried-up valleys.... and then jumping off!!

3 comments:

TraceurZeno said...

Sounds amazing Dane!

Love the photo too!

Hope speak to you on the phone soon, and catch up on some chat.

Zeno

Prophet Kangnamgu said...

Great pic, man!

Cheers,
S

Anonymous said...

Looks amazing DC.. Deffo on my to-do-list.. Would love to get to see some more pics. Hope you got them back from ur crashed HD.
Hoping to squeeze in a week-end trip to London before winter hits us. Would be ace to meet up.
All the best.