Tuesday, August 05, 2008

2008 Athletics season winding down

It's been an interesting year to say the least. This time last year I had no idea I would be picking up athletics again after a 15 year break. (15 years! How quick does time fly?). The main reason for getting back into athletics was merely for cross training to aid my parkour in long and high jumps, although I thought I would try out whatever I could seeing as I was at the track.

However, after only a few training sessions over at St Mary's Richmond AC I was already gearing up to take part in the first minor competition, The Rosenheim League (our club eventually finished 7th overall this year).

Shortly after that I started competing in the more formal Southern Men's League - Division 3s, where we finished first and were promoted to the 2nd division for 2009, Yay!.

All-in-all, it's been loads of fun and a great way to keep busy and fit outdoors and certainly improved on my vertical and horizontal jumps in parkour.

Next step is taking part in the Surrey Decathlon where I have to complete 10 events in 2 days (For more information about Decathlons then just click THIS LINK). I'm quietly confident, but at the same time nervous as it is my first time doing this and there are a few events I've never competed in before (and the final event is a gruelling 1500m!!).

Just to round up my athletic achievements so far for 2008:
High Jump 1.80m
Long Jump 6.18m
Triple Jump 12.11m
Pole Vault 3.00m
Shot Put 9.01m (7.26kg)
Javelin Throw 49.70m (800g)

I'll be looking to improve on one or two at the Decathlon before the 2008 season officially closes and I will write a brief post on that experience later.

No comments: